Is this fowl pox? How do I treat this? (pics)

Sophie Mae

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Marion, Ohio
66746_006.jpg

66746_001.jpg

66746_006.jpg

He is breathing through his mouth and it looks as if his nasal passages are swollen. As far as I can tell this happened very quickly, I check on everyone each day but it has been dark earlier.

Offhand, it looks like frostbite to me. Fowl pox is carried by mosquitoes; do you really have mosquitoes around at this time of year?

Your location would help.

Usually frostbite is caused not by cold temps but by not enough ventilation in the coop.

Oops, I missed checking back til just now. Not that it matters as I don't know the answer anyway. Never get frostbite here (though it has gotten cold enough lately.)

I suppose it could, from discomfort. Usually mouth breathing means a respiratory problem or gapeworm, as far as I know.

Another thought is pecking -- roos certainly get black spots on combs from this, sometimes.

It almost looks like it could be a bad bruise, like something bit or hit him there. Any discoloration in the mouth? I think the stuff covers the head and mouth. Definitely cause for concern though.

66746_rooster_face_001.jpg

66746_rooster_face_007.jpg

66746_rooster_face_001.jpg

66746_rooster_face_009.jpg

wow, that went well. I will have to take to pictures at night,
he has been running around some outside during the day, maybe I should not let them out at all?

Last edited:
Almost looks like he has been in a fight with another rooster.. When 2 roos fight they jump up and kick each other in chest and that can lead to sore ribs and lungs.. They will breathe hard and act sore for awhile.

edited to say that his wattles look like they have been frost bit.. They drag them in water when getting a drink and then the wattles freeze.. Try putting vaseline or antibiotic ointment on them to help in healing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom