1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this fowl pox? Or an eye infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hennible, Mar 12, 2015.

1. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Buff Brahma, age 1 1/2, eating, drinking, acting and pooping normally. Only affected bird (so far) what do you think is happening?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Have you seen any mosquitos, especially early morning and late afternoon?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Fowl pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes in warm weather, which may not be the problem since you are in Canada in winter. The nostrils look like ther has been some nasal drainage that dust has stuck to, and the eyes could have crusty eye drainage, that may be due to a respiratory infection. Infectious bronchitis, MG, Coryza, and ILT are some common ones, but there are other bacterial and viral infections, too. I would clean the eye with saline, and apply either Vetericyn Eye Gel, Terramycin Ointment, or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment to the eye twice daily. Here is a good link that gives symptoms of each disease: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. hennible

No mosquitoes yet, thank you for the link. Yes there is a crust in her nose...

5. hennible

It's seems to be mites
    Took a while (clearly) for me to see them, but it's northern fowl mites...

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    No kidding? She looked dehydrated to me - weird. I would not have guessed that, glad you figured it out!

7. hennible

Me too
    The pictures of truly bad infestations on line seem to explain the swelling around her eyes. Brahmas seem to have a bit of a puffy look, but this is not normal. I'll try to remember to post pictures when she looks good again, or to correct myself if the mites demise doesn't fix the facial swelling...
    Just an example of why you should look your birds over more carefully.

8. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sounds good. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by