Is This Fowl Pox? PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PepsNick, Oct 2, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I see these little black dots coming onto 2 of my pullets combs... is this fowl pox? If so how should I treat it?

PICTURES:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    The pictures aren't particularly helpful here, as they are so far away. Honestly, what it looks like is simple wounds from pecking.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Can you get your pics enlarged?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I used my magnifying glass and I still couldnt tell. Larger side pics would be better. If it is fowl pox there's not much you can do but to let it run its course. You will see dark wartlike nodules on the combs and wattles, possibly around the eyes...then there will eventually be yellowish scabs on the combs and wattles. You can put iodine on them to help them dry quicker. They are infectitive and will drop off onto the ground. The ground will be contaminated where the scab fell. Fowl pox is contagious. You might want to seperate the ones that have it, from the ones that dont have it. It takes about month to clear up. There is a vaccine for it that you might find at a feed store or TSC. you give it to the ones who arnt infected. If they do in fact have fowl pox, monitor them closely especially for "wet" pox. That's when it gets in their mouth, throat and nostrils and can eventually cause death. You can type in "wet pox" in the search box and learn more about. I've dealt with 'dry' pox, fortunately not with 'wet' pox. Once the virus has passed, they will be immune to that particular fowl pox virus. Antibiotics wont help unless there's a secondary infection.

5. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I can't yet get any other pics, but I tried to enlarge them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    shoot. didnt work. it seems dry to me. oh well, ill get some more tomorrow. [​IMG] and if so i will definetley use idonine or whatever u said, thanks for the great info!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yeah, larger pics would be a big help...might save you some $$ lol.

8. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    That looks like just a wound from others pecking her. Mine are going through pecking order and all of their combs have those little black dots. It's just dry blood in my case.

9. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    yayy! thank you! [​IMG]

10. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Your welcome! Although I cant really tell for sure, thats probably the case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by