Is this Fowl POX? What do I do?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KaylaBird, Jul 3, 2011.

1. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    My poor little gabby who sleeps on the floor because she cannot fly to roost and is at the bottom of the picking order, and who has never laid an egg never seems to get a break from her problems. I picked her up today and saw this:

[​IMG]

Is it fowl pox? What should I do? Will my other hens catch it? [​IMG]

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    looks like dry fowl pox my white leghorns had it chances are if its like this most of the others will have already gotten it put some iodine on the comb and wattles should clear up

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I had one of my serama get that early last year and I freaked out about it lol... I actually heard that you don't have to
    do anything and it will go away on it's own and then they usually don't get it anymore after that.
    So after reading tons of things that frightened me to death I took the advise of the lady that said to not do anything and
    I did nothing and it went away on it's own and never came back and none of my other birds got it so????
    Don't no if I got lucky or if she really new what she was talkiing about?

4. KaylaBird

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    Quote:None of the others have bumps yet. Should I isolate her? Or will the others catch it anyway?

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    personally i think its best to let it run its course. i wouldnt seperate her.

6. KaylaBird

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    Quote:Well thats good right? She wont die from it? I feel bad for her as it is she is already the odd one out in the flock. Will she be weaker? Does it effect them more than just the little sores?

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    When they have dry pox I don't think they much notice it. It is contracted from mosquitos and does go away on its own. Wet pox is not so nice and can be more serious. You can do a search and read more about the two but for dry pox one day soon you will realize there are no more spots!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Everything has pretty much been stated here about fowl pox. Just let it run its course. Egg production might slow down some, but will eventually pick up again once it disappears in about 2-4 weeks. The eggs are safe to eat.

9. KaylaBird

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    phew well thats good to hear. I still feel bad for her [​IMG] but Im glad she'll be ok!

10. ellie_may12

ellie_may12 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2009
    St Tammany
    I am hoping that this is the same thing...only one of my birds has it. I was thinking cancer when I saw it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by