Is this Fowl Pox?

JTC

Chirping
May 13, 2020
Is this fowl pox? I found these white lesions on my hens comb and around her eye. Other posts and pictures I’ve seen they are dark scabs so I’m not sure what she has going on.

Edited to add: she has been giving me 3-4 eggs a week and I notice very ones egg production drop because of the weather but hers has stopped altogether for a week or two now. She’s 7 months old.

Two months ago new birds were added to the flock and properly quarantined. If it is fowl pox I’m not exactly sure how mine got it as they have not been exposed to other fowl. Im A little grossed out/freaked out about having a disease spread through my flock.

If it is pox is there anything I can do for her?
Should I vaccinate the flock?
Can we use the eggs after vaccination or should we wait a certain amount of time?

Thank you in advance for your help.

E6C7BE5D-3732-43F2-BCB3-9E77D2BCF413.jpeg
340D7F84-E897-4804-8AAB-9EE53BD54F8E.jpeg
63D077E9-2117-48F1-9AA0-A90E70596F94.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like fowl pox is brewing. It is most commonly caused by mosquitoes. Are the mossies about at your house? The treatment I got for my Belgian bantam (Tango :)) was called Ilium Opticin. Here are some pics (sorry bad quality). This medication I got from the vet. If the fowl pox becomes worse, call and ask for the treatment to fowl pox in chickens.
Tango's fowl pox :hmm
tanges.PNG

The treatment, worked within 2-3 days! After that, all better! :)
med.PNG

Hope this helps :)

Laura
big smile.gif

Looks like fowl pox is brewing. It is most commonly caused by mosquitoes. Are the mossies about at your house? The treatment I got for my Belgian bantam (Tango :)) was called Ilium Opticin. Here are some pics (sorry bad quality). This medication I got from the vet. If the fowl pox becomes worse, call and ask for the treatment to fowl pox in chickens.
Tango's fowl pox :hmm
View attachment 2343180
The treatment, worked within 2-3 days! After that, all better! :)
View attachment 2343197
Hope this helps :)

Laura View attachment 2343198

Thank you. Yep mosquitos have been pretty bad here this year.

Back
Top Bottom