1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this fowl pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morgan7782, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I just noticed this on my Barred Rock pullet. I assumed somebody had grabbed her comb or she got it hurt on one of the many rosebushes in the yard. No signs of illness in her or anybody else. Does this look like fowl pox or just a normal scrape? It happened yesterday between the time she was let out (around 7am) and around 11am. It was bleeding when I saw it so I assumed another chicken had grabbed her or something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I think that it's just an injury. Fowl pox is a very black looking scab and would probably show up first on a wider portion of the comb.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I sure hope so! I thought so too because it came on so quickly. I went outside and her comb was bleeding, and she was fine, comb was fine an hour before that. She has been in occasional scuffles with the two younger Wyandottes, and it looks like one of the spikes was torn off. There was nothing before either, from what I read of fowl pox it tends to grow right? Thanks for any information, I will keep an eye on her.

Anybody else have experience with fowl pox and does this look to be them or just a scratch? I cannot find any recent enough pictures to show up on BYC

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I think it's from an injury. Most often you wouldn't see just one scab.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    By the way, fowl pox doesn't bleed first.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh okay great! I did look it up but there was a lot of words I don't know so it was hard to understand what they were saying. Thank you all for the responses, just saw a picture of a comb and freaked out heh. Thanks again!

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Looks like she got pecked.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've experienced the dry version of Fowl Pox. Starts with yellowish spots on comb and wattles which then turn black. This can last several weeks. So your girl just looks like someone chomped her comb.

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you for the knowlage, I am glad to have it! Just in case I ever do run across something like that I am glad to know what to look for. I am so glad for a camera too because she didn't like me poking around to see it and stuff lol, so the camera let me get a good close view. I am so grateful to have more experienced people to ask thank you all for the responses!

Wonder who got the lucky bite in? She is head hen and is usually pretty aggresive lol! Or I think she could have caught it on the rosebushes, they hang out in the thorny stalks all day just about crazy chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by