Is this Fowl Pox??

Looks like it to me. I had two get it last year at the end of summer. They were fine and I saw no change in their behavior. I put iodine on the lesions. I then vaccinated the rest of my flock. Probably didn't need to but I kind of panicked.

I only have 7 hens. Is it worth it to vaccinate? Where do you get the vaccine?

Quote:
Since it's the dry version of fowl pox I wouldn't bother vaccinating. Maybe put some vitamins and electrolytes in their water. You could also use a atop and apply some iodine to he lesions. Once it runs it's course (3-4 weeks or so) they shouldn't get pox again.

Thank you!!
big_smile.png

I have one hen for sure that has the same thing. Only just noticed because she's having problems with her backside, possibly prolapse. ?? I have to check the rest of my girls tomorrow to see if they have the pox, also. I'm glad it's the dry so it can run it's course. I didn't know chickens could have soooo many problems, but, you know, I wouldn't change a thing. They are such a joy to have around..and the benefits of the eggs are wonderful!! I just hope my sick one makes it..

If it is prolapse, you should keep an eye on her, as her bottom might get pecked on by her sisters.
You may have to separate her....

Back
Top Bottom