Is this Fowl Pox??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txajackson, Nov 3, 2011.

1. txajackson

txajackson Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Just noticed the bumps today. I have read a little about it. Is this pox?
    [​IMG]

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Looks like it to me. I had two get it last year at the end of summer. They were fine and I saw no change in their behavior. I put iodine on the lesions. I then vaccinated the rest of my flock. Probably didn't need to but I kind of panicked.

3. txajackson

May 31, 2011
    I only have 7 hens. Is it worth it to vaccinate? Where do you get the vaccine?

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Since it's the dry version of fowl pox I wouldn't bother vaccinating. Maybe put some vitamins and electrolytes in their water. You could also use a atop and apply some iodine to he lesions. Once it runs it's course (3-4 weeks or so) they shouldn't get pox again.

5. txajackson

May 31, 2011
    Thank you!![​IMG]

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    X2

7. Mama duck 8

Mama duck 8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Yes that is fowl pox

8. bigbadwolf38

bigbadwolf38 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    I have one hen for sure that has the same thing. Only just noticed because she's having problems with her backside, possibly prolapse. ?? I have to check the rest of my girls tomorrow to see if they have the pox, also. I'm glad it's the dry so it can run it's course. I didn't know chickens could have soooo many problems, but, you know, I wouldn't change a thing. They are such a joy to have around..and the benefits of the eggs are wonderful!! I just hope my sick one makes it..

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If it is prolapse, you should keep an eye on her, as her bottom might get pecked on by her sisters.
    You may have to separate her....

10. bigbadwolf38

bigbadwolf38 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    Separated her as soon as I noticed the blood, since they are attracted to the red..I just hope she makes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by