Is this fowl pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannybell, Oct 26, 2013.

1. shannybell

shannybell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    My sweet little pullet Liberty has developed fast growing lesions on her face. I've been treating with polysporin and vetericyn but they continue to grow. I realize that if it's pox, it will continue to get worse before it gets better. The reason I'm thinking that's what it is, is because many of my other chickens have dry pox right now, just not near this bad.

If I can get both pictures to post, they show the aggressiveness of it, as they were taken about 3 or 4 days apart. Today her eye is almost completely covered/closed. What else can I do for her?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like dry pox to me, but check inside her mouth for pus and/or lesions, that's wet pox.

-Kathy

3. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    x2. Dry pox will go away in a couple of weeks. Mine are starting to clear up.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    There is really nothing more that you can do. Fowl pox goes away on its own; there is no treatment. To help her out, give her some electrolytes and probiotics to help with any stress. Put some iodine on the lesions to help them go away.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, that looks like dry Fowl Pox. It will get worse before it gets better, but provided wet pox doesn't develop, your hen should recover completely.

7. shannybell

shannybell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    Yes Kathy, I have been reading your post already!! I'm reading it slow and thoroughly, trying to take it all in and not linger too long on the pics lol. I was just out there and did put some iodine on the lesions. It sure did seem like it was stinging or something as she did not like it at all.

There also appears to be starting a tiny puffy blister on her other eye (just like it started on the first eye)...boo hoo.

I have another hen with no signs of dry pox but she has some bubbles in one of her eyes and is keeping it shut. I've been putting vetRx around her nose and under her wing because I wasn't sure what this might be. Although I'm learning more after reading Kathy's thread this afternoon. Her mouth looks clean. *sigh*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by