Is this fowl pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tofupup, Mar 4, 2014.

1. tofupup

tofupup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    This giant bumps came on suddenly and grew extremely fast, but they are not scabbing over, like I thought pox does. These bumps are all over any parts of her that are unfeathered-- her neck, face, and chest. (She's a naked-neck hen.)

She is lethargic, uncoordinated, and is acting blind, although she has one eye that half-opens. She tries to eat, but is having trouble aiming at the food, so I've been tube-feeding her.

She has been this way (bumps getting progressively larger) for about ten days. Someone suggested this might be lymphoma?

she doesn't have any pox or lesions in her mouth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. tofupup

Mar 7, 2012
    so... that article makes it seem like this is NOT fowl pox, and these nodules are huge and are not scabbing over. Any idea what it could be then? I already spend $1,100 in vet bills on chickens last month. I guess I will spend a few hundred more today.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cornell has some good pictures of diseases. Fowl pox is usually pretty easy to ID, but there are some weird cases, especially with wet pox. I think that your chicken may have Mareks disease. Here are a couple of pictures, first of Mareks disease and second of avian pox:
    [​IMG] mareks
    [​IMG] avian pox

5. tofupup

Mar 7, 2012
    oh my God. How horrible and depressing. I guess she's going to die? She doesn't have that classic Marek's split-leg stance. She is just weak and wobbly and can't stand. I made a vet appt. at 3 today but what good will it do either way, if there is no treatment? Unless I just have her euthanized.

6. tofupup

Mar 7, 2012
    can you send me the link to where you found those photos from Cornell?

7. tofupup

Mar 7, 2012
    Well, in case anyone is wondering, the vet diagnosed this as Marek's and I put her on supportive care even though she is 90% sure to die. The tumors usually go on the organs, but they just manifested themselves on her skin.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I'm so sorry, I just went through that with an older rooster and like your hen, he had no neurological symptoms.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like she also has the ocular form, her eye looks blue.

-Kathy

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by