Is this fowl pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Georgia peach, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Georgia peach

Georgia peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    My poor silkie has this disease and don't know what to do to help! There was a small grayish growth between her eye and ear on Monday. Had a full crest. Not knowing what it was my husband sprayed it with vetrimycin. The next day the feathers were gone and looked much much worse. We've treated with iodine and removed scabs that were possible to remove. They look more like tumors now. Do not know what to do next! We are treating with antibiotics can anyone help?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I've seen a lot of pox types but nothing like this.I am bumping your thread up so more can see.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like it could be pox, but it could also be cutaneous Marek's or some other type of tumor.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. NewToTheFlock

NewToTheFlock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2014
    Quinlan Texas
    Just bumping, that girl needs help.

6. Georgia peach

Georgia peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    Thanks for the bumps! Guess we are probably going to have to put her down. She just sits on the side of her water dish and turns and shakes head kinda like a tic, slowly turning to one side and then shakes head fast. She has been vaccinated for Mareks so don't know what to do for other silkies she was around. I know I can go ahead and vaccinate for fowl pox but what if it is something else?

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you do euthanize her you could look into have a necropsy done.

http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by