Is this fowlpox in my 2yo BR? (pics) What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mbfarms, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mbfarms

mbfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    High Desert, SoCal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Missy. 2yo BR. Started acting strange yesterday, and this morning I noticed her swollen eye and what look like black lesions. Is this fowlpox and if so, what do I do to treat her? I also have 8 other hens, a roo, and 3 peas. Would appreciate feedback about prevention for the others, too. The peas are separately penned.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's very unlikely that it is fowlpox this time of year. It very well might be the resut of a peck from one of her flockmates.

3. mbfarms

Jul 19, 2012
    High Desert, SoCal
    Thanks, sourland. She rules the roost, tho. No one pecks her without getting a whooping back. And yesterday she started acting unwell...hiding under a bush, not being human-friendly, tucking her tail. I thot she might be eggbound so I gave her a bath/blow dry (I know, right?) and a warm bed for the night. I noticed then that one of her eyes seemed closed most of the time. And today I see what looks like black spots and the eye is swollen. Do you see what looks like black spots in the pics?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I do see the small black specks and also the apparent discoloration in her comb. Any possibility of a spider or scorpion bite? I'm grasping at straws here.

5. mbfarms

Jul 19, 2012
    High Desert, SoCal
    sure, could be, I guess. i live in the desert so have spiders for sure and probably scorpions. would you think isolation and tlc are in order? any other suggestions?

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Since she appears to be out of sorts to you, temporary isolation might be a good idea. I wouldn't go long enough to endanger her position in the pecking order or all heck might break out upon her reintroduction to the flock.

7. mbfarms

Jul 19, 2012
    High Desert, SoCal
    Ok, I think you are right. I think she's getting whooped by my young roo. Ugh.

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sometimes when a cockerel is taking over, he has to best the dominant hen. The problem lies in the fact that many then refuse to accept the hen and continue to attack her. I always had better luck adding mature roosters to my flocks. They seemed to better understand the rules. Are you planning on rooster stew?

9. mbfarms

Jul 19, 2012
    High Desert, SoCal
    You hit it right on the head. Thanks for your advice. All I lack in chicken keeping is a tiny thing called 'experience.' [​IMG]

10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You make up for that with common sense and observational skills.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by