1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this French Black Copper Maran a pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shyylo, Mar 31, 2013.

1. shyylo

shyylo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2013
    [​IMG]
    She/ he is 4 weeks old in this picture. Today will be 5 weeks and the neck has more copper color. The waddles a bit bigger, not much and slightly redder. She is talkative and out going. I don't want to give it back to the breeder because it will be stew. I hope it's a girl. The kids have named her Mathilda. I hope she's not a Max!

2. ChicCrazyInNC

ChicCrazyInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Mebane NC
    Sorry top say but I'm going with Max. I think it's a rooster. :-(

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Someone here who has them has posted that Maran hens are black and the roos are more off black or grey in color.

We have an adult Maran. Her legs were very thiick as a chick and lots of people said she was a roo but but she turned out to be a hen. Right now we have two 5 week old Marans One French and one English, they both have thick leggs and the English looks like yours except her comb is slightly smaller. Does your's have white wing tips?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  4. shyylo

Mar 27, 2013
    No white at all accept under it's chin. Thick legs which had me wondering. But these hens can be on the big side. If a rooster, I will find a home for it. I don't want it eaten because it has a great personality.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'd call him Matt.

6. shyylo

Mar 27, 2013
    bump

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Boy

8. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Rooster

9. shyylo

Mar 27, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Up dates. She/he is now 5 weeks one day old. Feathers are coming in nicely, copper on neck. Don't see saddle feathers yet. comb is developing and waddles are slowing down. Did the hat overhead trick and it ran and lowered, but not as much as my Olive Egger that is with her, same age. I'll just have to wait like everyone else. ;)

10. shyylo

Mar 27, 2013
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by