Is this from fighting or something else? [[photos]]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuziCue, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SuziCue

SuziCue Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Hi,

Can someone please take a look at these photos of my RIR? I went out to let the chickens out to run around the yard for a bit and saw my poor Rosie's comb. It used to be so big it would flop over to one side, but now the whole section that used to flop over is completely gone. I've been noticing black scabby spots on her comb for a while, but they've always been small and I just thought someone was picking on her. I'm guessing it's been going away slowly, but I've been so busy with working full time and going to school full time, my boyfriend has been taking care of them. By the time I usually have time to take care of them, it's dark out and they've put themselves to bed. There's so much of her comb missing now that I'm not sure if it's from fighting, or some kind of infection. The rest of her comb is it's normal healthy red. What do you think? (I included the smaller picture just to show the white discoloration on the tips better, it's too out of focus to see detail)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Her sister's comb looks different too. It isn't damaged, but it looks more pink than red, and it has white on it, similar to the rough, dry skin people get on their knees or elbows.
    [​IMG]

If they're fighting, how do you usually handle it? This is my first time as a chicken mommy, and I'm feeling like worst mom of the year. :eek:(

Thanks for your help!

2. sunflowerparrot

sunflowerparrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    Winfield, KS
    Could it be frost bite?

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Doesn't look like frost bite.

DO you have any roosters?

This looks like either pecking or rooster damage.

As for the other hen, a few of mine get rough dry combs in the winter. Kind of like how we humans get dry skin in the winter.

4. SuziCue

Feb 24, 2012
    Frostbite crossed my mind, but w live in the SF bay area and haven't had freezing temperatures yet.

We don't have a rooster, so if it's pecking, it's from one of the other hens, but I don't know which one. The other RIR looks like she's missing feathers around her comb. I just thought it was the beginning of molting, but maybe they're pecking at each other.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Are you absolutely certain no roosters? The missing feathers around the comb also sounds like rooster damage.

I have seen a lot of roosters who don't crow, and a lot of people who think they have hens and I can see roosters in their flock by pictures.

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    It looks to me like something bit it off, a small predator. Is there a place where she can poke her head through a fence when she is out of the coop? Or where something and reach in and bite? The other hen I would be concerned about her nutrition. The white part looks more like a lack of color than fungus. (At least from the pic) you may want to get her more greens and make sure she has a balanced diet.

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It looks like something bit it off. A hen, rooster, or predator.

8. SuziCue

Feb 24, 2012
    I don't think I have a rooster, but I suppose I could be wrong. I have never heard crowing our anything other than normal clucking. No spurs, no posturing. I have a hen that's definitely the leader, but she's definitely a hen. I'll post pictures of all of them this evening, when I can get better ones. I'm at work atm.

As for predators, their hen house and outside run is completely secure, except for a small hole under a fence board. I thought at first it was from a rat or mouse getting in, but I refill it and it gets dug out again from the inside, so I think it's the chickens scratching around. I don't think she's sticking her head through. I think they're oblivious to the fact the hole is there.

Maybe it's time to set up a web cam or something, since I can't watch them all day everyday.

9. sunflowerparrot

sunflowerparrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    Winfield, KS
    SF Bay - nice temperatures for you guys :) We have to worry about frost bite here in south-central Kansas. Hope your chickie gets better :)

10. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Now, I'd be concerned about that small hole. I think you have a predator. Chickens will scratch out areas along fencelines, but they don't dig holes. You have a rat or two, or more and your coop isn't secure. Rats have been known to chew on chickens while the sleep.
    and chickens aren't real smart about sticking their heads in places looking for bugs.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by