1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this from has spurs Piercing him? (((MORE PICTURE!!)))

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldenSparrow, Nov 27, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    my rooster has over 2inch long spurs, and he limps somtimes.

I looked his legs over and found about in the spot where his leg bends

Picture deleted

is this normal? I dont think it is.
    could his spurs be doing this?
    what should I do?

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I agree this looks like some type of injury. You can try cleaning the area (Betadine diluted in water works great), and put some Neosporin on the area to prevent infection. Are both legs affected? It's hard to tell from your picture whether his spurs or something else caused the problem. It sounds like his spurs are really long - do they curl back so that they hit that area when he walks or roosts? If yes, then they most likely are the cause of the problem. You can trim them. I've never done this so can't tell you how, but if you search on this site you will find plenty of directions. If you post some pictures of your rooster's legs while he is standing, including his spurs, it will be easier for folks to tell you whether or not the spurs are the cause of the problem. [​IMG]

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Legs look a bit rough... and red.* Use the Search here on BYC to search for "Scaly Leg Mites" and / or "Picture of Scaly Leg Mites", or "What are Scaly Leg Mites".

Also, you might cut the spurs off. I am not sure how most do that, I know how my neighbor did it for me (for my rooster and even a hen that has some spurs). (I couldn't watch.)

You could also search "trimming spurs" and see what comes up. The Search tool here on BYC is very helpful when you want more info.

Blu Kote Spray is both a Germicidal and Fungicidal Wound Care -- and might help... (it stains, be careful) -- in the picture it looks like it could be a fungus (set in after the injury)? Maybe alternate it (Blu Kote Spray) with the treatments RhodeIslandeRedFan suggests, with the Betadine solution and Neosporin ointment. To treat both infection and other possibilities. But, if the spur is causing the injury, it will continue to repeat.

*If there is any pus, swelling, heat.... you might soak his leg(s) in a warm Epsom Salts bath and add some water soluable antibiotics to the water for a few days to take down the infection.

Good luck

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

His hock joint area is really inflamed. Not sure what it is, fungal, bacterial, injury or what, sorry. My DH looked at it and thinks it's an injury that has infected areas around it and suggested antibiotic ointment applied.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Please post a pic showing the position of the spur in relation to the wound. Very possible it was caused by the spur. Trimming the spurs is best done using a Dremmel Tool with a cutoff wheel. You need someone to hold the cock steady while the spurs are trimmed 3/8 to 1/2" from the leg. He will object, but it seems more to the buzzing of the Dremmel than to any pain. The heat from the wheel usually cauterizes the spur, but sometimes some blood will ensue. Using baking flour and a few minutes of pressure will stop the blood. I usually give the cock one vitamin K tablet 30 minutes before any such surgery to thicken the blood, but it isn`t nesseccary. Old timers used a hacksaw, but a Dremmel is much better.
    The scales look a little rough and leg mites may be present. Use the same antibiotic ointment on the legs as you use on the wound. Rub it in good, but not on the trimmed spurs. The idea is to drown any mites, so anykind of oil will do it.
    Be sure to post that pic of the whole legs so the position of the spur in relation to the wound can be determined...........Pop

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I agree and think you may have several things going on here, an injury at some point for sure and the above treatments should be done, long spurs may have not caused it but should be twisted off and made shorter. Next he does have scaley leg mites and a treatment for that also will help. Good luck and hopes he get's nursed back.

7. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    His spurs. I took this picture last year. I think his spurs are abit longer now maybe.
    [​IMG]

He keeps lifting his legs really high. not so much in this picture, but he brings his legs way up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

one of our other rooster had a leg thing just like this. exept we caught it late. the vet said it went to far. we had to put him down. I dont want Hope to be like that.
    Should we take him to a vet. the vet we know is not a chicken vet, but will try. she is the best one we can find.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like his spurs are long enough and in the right position to cause that damage. Like al6517 said, they can be twisted off to make them shorter. here`s a great vidio on how to do it.......Pop

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes now that we can see a better picture angle it does look like the long pointy spurs have caused him injury. You gotta trim spurs twice a year once they begin to get past 1" long just as a regular maintance for him. I always make sure my birds get their spur tips rounded off once I pull the old sheath off. If they remain long they can snag any number of things that can really hurt or mame him.

10. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    :hitwhat should I do for his leg. I dont want it to get infected. [​IMG]

for antibiotic ointment will neosporen work?

He keeps lifting his leg really high.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by