Is this frost bite?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NorthChicken, Feb 6, 2014.

1. NorthChicken

NorthChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls are all 21 weeks old, and doing well. Both Speckled Sussex have started squatting in the past 2 days, so I am really keeping my fingers crossed for some eggs soon!

Went out today, and noticed their combs looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Is that frost bite? If so, is there anything I should do about it? [​IMG]
    None of my others have issues, combs all look fine. We have a high of about 10F today, and the temps at night are usually around -15F below zero the last few nights, although -25F below is the norm. We had a few nights of -45F below zero as well. I have lots of ventilation in the coop, leave the pop door open on the 'warmer' nights (as warm as it can get in Northern Maine in Jan/Feb!!). I am more than ready for spring!! As are these pretty ladies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Pretty chickens. They may have just the slightest touch of frostbite. Or maybe it is just dry skin and less sun exposure than usual. Just a bit of Vaseline on the comb can protect them from the cold air.

3. NorthChicken

NorthChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, that makes me feel better!! I will put a bit of vaseline on the combs to see if that helps.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Vaseline might help....but it looks very mild and they may not even loose the tips.

My first year with chooks and I have had several bouts with frostbite, the light colored stuff like you have seems to go away after a week or so.
    Even the roos black waddle seems fine, shrinks and dries up. Just watch for swelling/infection...IMO there's no reason to intervene otherwise.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think they will loose the tips of their combs. That tends to only happen when the tissue turns black. The Vaseline is is just a precaution that could prevent future frostbite. This cold weather just is not letting up. It is a good thing that chickens are pretty cold hardy.

6. humphrey farms

humphrey farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    Mine look the same. A little bit of Vaseline will help for future frostbite. Take heed, spring is coming! It's been a real hard one here in Western Maine too in the Lakes Region. Pretty girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by