1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this frostbite? And what do I do about it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cperezpeeps, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cperezpeeps

cperezpeeps New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    This is my first winter with chickens and it has been quite a learning curve (we live outside of Boston). I have 4 lovely Buff Orps who seem pretty unfazed by the winter weather and hang out in their run all day in the bitter cold. A couple of weeks back it was around 0 degrees (F) or below for a few days and I finally turned on a little heater in their coop just in case. For a while I was also putting a thick layer of vaseline on their combs and wattles once a day to protect against frostbite. Despite doing these two things, 2 out of my 4 hens have what I think is the beginnings of frostbite. I'm not sure what to do about it - if anything. Their coop is not insulated, and I have been trying the deep litter method (not sure it is generating any heat though, as it is on a raised wood floor). I keep the coop door closed at night. There is no ammonia smell in the coop, so I don't think there is a lot of moisture in there, but I could be wrong. The litter seems dry enough. Any thoughts? Thanks.[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd say it is but doesn't look too serious. I've had a lot worse and they did OK. Just watch for infection but I doubt it will be a problem unless it gets worse.
    The only birds I put heat on are Pene roosters when it gets below 25. Their huge combs and wattles get bit pretty bad below 20F,

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. cperezpeeps

cperezpeeps New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Hi ChickenCanoe,

Thanks for your response. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Or to stop it from getting worse?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by