Is this frostbite?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FireHazard, Dec 21, 2016.

1. FireHazard

FireHazard Just Hatched

Dec 20, 2016
    Hello, I have a couple roosters with swollen waddles, with this guy being the worst. I did some research, and I think they have frostbite (correct me if I'm wrong!!). How does one go about treating this? I know I'd hate to have big punching bags hanging off my face... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes that is frostbite.
    I don't do anything unless it becomes infected.
    If they become lethargic, bring them into a warm space till they recover.

3. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    it appears to be mild/minor, so I would get them into an area (or coop, somewhere not super cold, but not hot) and indirectly warm them. Usually with comb/wattles, I just get them out of the cold and let them manage it themselves, but if you are really worried I would try immersion in lukewarm water. Again, I don't know if you'd want to use water when it's cold out, and soaking near their heads will probably get tricky. Avoid accidentally squeezing or harshly touching the areas, as they are sensitive, and do not apply direct heat. This is just what I've picked up from the panicked searches I did last week, my silkie got minor frostbite on his littlest toe and (He's fine now, and loving life) I had him sit on a towel in my lap in the garage until he warmed himself up. I know my Iowa Blue rooster has gotten minor frostbite on his comb, this year and last, but chickens are pretty self sufficient/resilient and just getting them out of the wind/horrid temperatures does lots. Good luck!

4. FireHazard

FireHazard Just Hatched

Dec 20, 2016
    Ok thank you both! I was hoping it wasn't something worse...

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    glad it's minor frostbite - major and they can lose wattles, comb, toes etc. Frost bite is not fun.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under FireHazard [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I have no experience with frostbite but I see that you have received some great advice from others who do.

I just wanted to add that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. FireHazard

FireHazard Just Hatched

Dec 20, 2016
    Sounds like my kind of place! [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Glad you were able to get some good advice!

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here.

9. FireHazard

FireHazard Just Hatched

Dec 20, 2016
    How do I tell if it gets infected? What do I do if it does?

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!! VASALINE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by