1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this frostbite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leigti, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Today I noticed that one of my chickens is bleeding around her come. Is this frostbite? How do I treat this? I wiped off the blood but I'm wondering if maybe I should isolate her for a couple days to keep the others from picking on her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. alovelylady40

alovelylady40 New Egg

Feb 23, 2017
    Kimball MI
    This time of year their comb seems to crack sometimes. I put vasoline on my ladies when that happened. Seemed to help

3. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    OK, I will try that.

4. alovelylady40

alovelylady40 New Egg

Feb 23, 2017
    Kimball MI
    Let me know if it helps. :)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like some other chicken is pecking her. The black dots are common in pecking. You don't need to put anything on them--they will heal in a few weeks. But you need to find out who and why they are pecking her. Spend some time watching them. Separate any bullies for a week or so. Check her over to make sure that she is not sick, and that they are letting her eat and drink.

6. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I haven't noticed anyone picking on her but I will definitely be watching more closely. I've seen her packing at others. Maybe she's just projecting. She and my other speckled Sussex are the friendliest chickens in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by