Is this gap too large?

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
This is the nesting box door of the pre-fab coop. I was trying to get a good shot of the gap. You can see the grass on the other side (the green peeking through near the latch).
Does this gap need fixed for drafts - like maybe adjust the door? The roost is directly in front of this gap (past the nest boxes). I'm thinking of moving the roosts to make it one diagonal roost (instead of 2 parralel and to make it higher) so that all 4 hens can fit on one roost. I'm not sure they all can fit on one now - and since there are 4, I would hate for there to be one roosting alone.
I meant to get more pics, but my time was limited.

Attachments

• IMG_20171018_182325637.jpg
    IMG_20171018_182325637.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 18
Could you put a thin board behind it (attached to the non moving frame) that will cover the hole when it is closed?
That might be the easiest thing since it looks like it opens outward.
Not sure if it is too big, as I think it depends more on how long it is. It looks like it may be but I am no expert. Plus I heated my last coop when I probably should not have, or really didn't need to :love

If you really wanted, you could put some caulking or silicone in the gap. it's very tidy! :) Some silicone is made to span gaps up to 5 centimeters.

If you really wanted, you could put some caulking or silicone in the gap. it's very tidy! :) Some silicone is made to span gaps up to 5 centimeters.

Should I be worried if they pecked at the caulk or silicone?

I’m following another thread where other members have this same coop, they didn’t think the gap was anything to worry about. I was just worried about drafts. The coop is set up beside a shed, but the north, south, and east sides are open to the elements at the moment. I am thinking of at least closing off the run around the sides so that snow doesn’t get in during the winter.

I wouldn't worry too much. It helps if it's white or grey, because if they can see light through it there would be a higher chance of them pecking it.

Why would you caulk a nest box door closed?

It looks like it might be ok. On a windy day you could always check it and if need be just nail a piece of wood on the inside to stop the draft.

Why would you caulk a nest box door closed?

It looks like it might be ok. On a windy day you could always check it and if need be just nail a piece of wood on the inside to stop the draft.
I mean put a strip of caulking on the non-moving side of the door, let it dry, and then close the door again. When closed, it will create a good seal. I would never recommend caulking a door shut. :p

Back
Top Bottom