Is this gapeworm? HELP!!!

CoopsNPoops

Songster
Apr 5, 2021
Ellsinore, MO
My husband informed me my Morans hen was making a weird noise like she was gasping for air. Sure enough. The videos are uploading to YouTube at the moment, so i will post them in the comments in a bit. She sounds raspy and hoarse and like shes gasping for air. Her crop is empty all but a quarter size firm something. Her vent isn't red or swollen, but she does have some yellow mucusy poo. I tried giving her some water, and she was willing, but its like she chokes on it and coughs.

Attachments

• 20210429_170906.jpg
    20210429_170906.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 30
I recommend that you take a fresh fecal to a vet and have them look at it under a microscope for gapeworm eggs. That way you'll know for sure if it's gapeworms or not.

I can try i suppose. All we have is small local animal clinics who dont really specialize in a whole lot of farm animals, especially chickens. Would they even know what the heck they're looking for as they're only found in poultry and fowl? Lol

I had one do this same thing a couple months ago and she passed.
Sorry 😢 I hope someone with specific knowledge pops in to help you try to treat her.
How long did her symptoms last before she passed? I have brought her inside to look for an obstruction or worms in her throat. I didnt see anything abnormal. I gave her water, olive oil, egg whites, vitamins, a breathing treatment and pyrantel pamoate. Just anything in my house i though may help out of desperation. Wish i had an antibiotic to add. Shes resting snug in my bathroom, so we shall update in the morning i suppose.

You're not going to see gapeworms in her throat. They are located further down in the trachea. If a vet can do a fecal float test for dog and cat worms, they can do it for a chicken. Put a fresh fecal sample from your hen in a ziplock bag and take it to your vet. That's the only way you're going to know for sure.
Here's a link with pics showing what gapeworm eggs look like under a microscope. See post #7
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/where-can-i-get-doxy.1460157/#post-24321556

Back
Top Bottom