Is this giant chick actually a bantam?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kinkachy000, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Yes, just a little larger than the others

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, different, regular sized breed

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. kinkachy000

kinkachy000 Songster

Mar 18, 2018
    Hello,
    I got my bantam chicks about two weeks ago now, and I've noticed three of them are monsters compared to the others! The three "monsters" I got from the Tractor Supply mixed bantam breed tub, all the other bantams I got from a local feedstore/breeders. So, I'm not entirely sure what breed these three big guys are, since they were in a mixed tub. All I was told was, "yep, they're bantams for sure." But as they grow im not too sure! They are giants! They tower above all the others, and are pretty hefty feeling. Their legs look like trunks! I'll love them even if they aren't bantams, but I'm just curious what other people think! Are they bantams? Regular breed sized that got mislabeled? Are they mutants?!

Here's a picture of one of the monster chicks standing next to a silver seabright chick. They are the same age (~2 weeks). It's probably pretty obvious, but the one in question is on the left.
    IMG_20180328_123225963.jpg
    Thoughts?

2. GldnValleyHens

GldnValleyHens Crowing

Apr 21, 2017
    Illinois
    That doesn't look like a bantam to me. Feed store guys can be wrong. I got a sex link out of a barred rock tub before, they can make mistakes

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    That's not a bantam.

drumstick diva and kinkachy000 like this.
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Not a bantam. And pretty big for even a standard sized breed. Might be a red broiler.

5. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Free Ranging

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    A lot of the employees know absolutely nothing about chicks/chickens.
    Buyer beware...
    I would go on a hatchery website that has photos of different breeds of chicks and try to identify them.
    The Tractor Supply in my town is great because they have the brooders closed off from the general public, so they don’t have people’s kids carrying chicks around and then putting them back in the wrong brooder.
    Of coarse, that doesn’t mean the employees don’t do that :barnie

6. kinkachy000

kinkachy000 Songster

Mar 18, 2018
    Yeah, one of the three monster "bantams" I got is definitely a Barred Rock! I was told by another member, that the one picutured looks like a New Hampshire chick, and I'm definitely going to have to agree with them. I'm wondering if the hachery made a mix up, and accidentally sent out the regular sized breeds instead of the bantam version? Not too sure.

drumstick diva likes this.
  7. kinkachy000

kinkachy000 Songster

Mar 18, 2018
    I was told by another person that it looks like a New Hampshire chick, but now that I searched up Red Broiler...I'm not sure! The chicks look so much alike in their markings! It would definitely make sense for it to be a meat bird, she's giant and hefty! Thanks for your input!

8. kinkachy000

kinkachy000 Songster

Mar 18, 2018
    Our tractor supply has the barriers too, but you're right, it doesn't stop the uninformed workers! I have been told by other members, that the pictured chick might be a Red Broiler or a New Hampshire chick. They look so much a like in their markings, that I can't tell what it is exactly. A meat bird would definitely make sense for it's size and weight. But I guess only time will tell! Now...was it the hatchery mislabeling them or the TSC employees? :idunno Either way, I'll love the chick for what it is! It's so inquisitive and curious of everything. It's also been keen to flying on to my shoulder and just sitting there! :love

9. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    NOT a bantam! Sometimes it's so ridiculous how people (feed store workers) just 'go by the labels'. If you know what I mean! Does it have white legs, or is that just the lighting?

kinkachy000 and drumstick diva like this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Not a bantam - I guess they don't feel a need to clean up their act, because people keep buying from them anyway :idunno

kinkachy000 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: