1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is this GLW a hen or a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elizabethlongwood, Jul 21, 2010.

1. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chirping

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    Can you tell if the "hen" is a roo or not? She is supposed to be a 16 week old pullet, but we see shiny pointy feathers coming in and her tail feathers are curving down. Our other hens seem shorter than her and don't have a red comb or wattles yet. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

I always like to find pics of the roosters and see if the chicken looks like a rooster of the breed would. This is especially so with Wyandottes.

Here are some GLW roos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your GLW appears to have saddle feathers that are drooping, but they don't seem to be drooping and pointy like the roos in the pics. On the other hand, my GLW don't look like that and I know they are pullets. I'll go take some pics of mine so you can compare them. Mine are 17 weeks old.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    you have a pullet:)

4. GraceAK

GraceAK Songster

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    That's probably a roo. Sorry!

5. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Need more of a head on pic...

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's a roo.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    really? hmmm her back feathers look so rounded and not pointed? Of course I never botheres to get a good gander at the hackle feathers-those are pointy-its a hermaphrodite! I swear half of mine are LOL... IDK It looks girlie to me [​IMG] for 16 weeks old.

8. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chirping

Jul 12, 2010
    My mom wrote the first post. The GLW has very pointed and shiny feathers on her back but hasn't crowed yet. Thanks for your responses!

9. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    It seems to me like a BLRW Roo not a GLW Roo

10. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Songster

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: