IS THIS GOING TO EVER GET BETTER!!!?

debster1556

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2014
My poor little chick. This has been going on for a while now. I'm using betadine and after that dries up I'm putting lamisil athletes foot cream on it. I'm doing that twice daily. I've tried neosporin, vitamins in their water, sulmet, which the feed store tells me is a good booster. I purchased blu-kote, which I didn't know was an antiseptic spray. I thought it was just to cover up ouchies. I'm tempted to spray his feet. Some days they look a little better, then not.
He actually had a little growth spurt and grew about an inch upwards! His poop is totally normal, he eats like a champ. But when I put him on his perch to apply his meds, he fluffs up and his eyes close. He's kind of independent too. Hangs by himself.
I know its foot pad dermatitus. How long will this go on??

What is his bedding like? Have you tried keeping his feet bandaged to keep bacteria and dirt out?

Personally I would be doing daily Epsom salt soaks, spraying with Vetericyn, and keeping the feet clean and wrapped.

His bedding was straw but a couple weeks ago, from advice I got from this site, we changed to pine shavings. We changed the bedding daily so it's always fresh. I've wrapped his feet with vet wrap but he just picks at it. I was hoping that they would toughen up a little bit. Sometimes it seems like they might but then they look bad again. There were a couple of huge scabs that feel off on their own and revealed fresh healthy looking skin underneath but then a new scab pops up somewhere else.

We do put feed out for distractions but we will try harder.
What would be a good soak? I don't have Epsom salt but i have sea salt. I was thinking of letting him walk/stand in a bowl of salt solution and get all clean. Maybe spray with the blu-kote then wrap before bed tonight?
Thought??
What's a good salt solution?
Is blu-kote a good antiseptic?

Back
Top Bottom