Is this going to work?

gravitystar

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
Jersey
Hi everyone, I'm new from Jersey and I'm a new duck momma as of march. These are my girls

One is a black swede and the other a mix of something...
A friend of mine had gotten 2 ducks as well and one was attacked by a bear leaving the one alone. I came home last night to Ming Ming in my dogs crate... And then there were three! Ming is male and much larger then my girls... This morning the swede got in the pool and the mix jumped on her back to mate soooo I'm just guessing here that the mix is not a girl!
I just brought Ming down to the duck pen and let him out, he right away went after the mix and was trying to keep (him/her) away from the swede... My babies have spent the last 2 hours running around the pool keeping away from Ming, who keeps chasing after them. Ming is majorly bow legged so he isn't that fast... Do I need to be worried about the new comer?? Will he hurt someone?
Thanks so much!!!
This is Ming...

Hi everyone, I'm new from Jersey and I'm a new duck momma as of march. These are my girls
One is a black swede and the other a mix of something...
A friend of mine had gotten 2 ducks as well and one was attacked by a bear leaving the one alone. I came home last night to Ming Ming in my dogs crate... And then there were three! Ming is male and much larger then my girls... This morning the swede got in the pool and the mix jumped on her back to mate soooo I'm just guessing here that the mix is not a girl!
I just brought Ming down to the duck pen and let him out, he right away went after the mix and was trying to keep (him/her) away from the swede... My babies have spent the last 2 hours running around the pool keeping away from Ming, who keeps chasing after them. Ming is majorly bow legged so he isn't that fast... Do I need to be worried about the new comer?? Will he hurt someone?
Thanks so much!!!
This is Ming...
Even ducks will act out the mating ritual so it may not be a male, the drake feather at base of tail should be curled upward if drake. anytime new ducks are added it's best to introduce slowly put Ming in a separate part of your pen and coop with temp fencing so he can't get to your 2 ducks, that way they can all get us to each other without confrontation. usually before a week is up and everyone has had a chance to get use to each other things are much better, Now if one of yours is a drake too then you may have problems with fighting but by now you should be seeing a drake feather. Ming is very pretty your girls too.
welcome-byc.gif

Even ducks will act out the mating ritual so it may not be a male, the drake feather at base of tail should be curled upward if drake. anytime new ducks are added it's best to introduce slowly put Ming in a separate part of your pen and coop with temp fencing so he can't get to your 2 ducks, that way they can all get us to each other without confrontation. usually before a week is up and everyone has had a chance to get use to each other things are much better, Now if one of yours is a drake too then you may have problems with fighting but by now you should be seeing a drake feather. Ming is very pretty your girls too.
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you!
I pulled Ming out and brought him back in the house for the night. Our duck coop is 9x12 and I have no way of sectioning off a part to keep him away from them. What do you think if I bring him down after work for a few hours every night for the next week or so? There is no fighting while I am in there with them, Ming lays down and doesn't chase them.
As far as the drake feather goes, I have not noticed it on them and their quack is very different than his. Would they have it yet, they are 5.5 months old? And the girls will do the mating ritual with each other?
Again, thank you, the girls are my little loves! They are just so cute!

First, how old are the girls?

Next, if Ming is bowlegged he may have a niacin deficiency.

The girls are 5.5 months old. And the vet told my friend to put some stuff in his water that would help with the legs but I am not sure what it is yet, he didn't bring it with the duck, I should have it Saturday... The legs are really bad... his feet overlap and he has a very hard time laying down. Once he does lay down he drags himself a few inches, not sure why. Everything else seems alright with him, eyes are clear, feathers are kept nice and clean... He also loses balance when he tries to scratch his face... poor big guy, he is super sweet though...

WelshHarlDrs.JPEG
duck on the right drake, see the feather curled up at base of tail. One on the left is a duck

Ming has the curl but I haven't noticed it on the girls yet. But the mix has angel wing and I am not sure that her feathers sit well enough for me to see if it were there.

Thank you, I'll get some in the morning... Here is a pic of his feet... This is with him trying hard to keep his feet straight...

Thank you!
I pulled Ming out and brought him back in the house for the night. Our duck coop is 9x12 and I have no way of sectioning off a part to keep him away from them. What do you think if I bring him down after work for a few hours every night for the next week or so? There is no fighting while I am in there with them, Ming lays down and doesn't chase them.
As far as the drake feather goes, I have not noticed it on them and their quack is very different than his. Would they have it yet, they are 5.5 months old? And the girls will do the mating ritual with each other?
Again, thank you, the girls are my little loves! They are just so cute!
Might work since when your with them he doesn't chase the girls, I noticed your one has angel wing but I still think you'd be able to see the drake feather since it's down at tip of tail lower back. Ming is just at the age where hormones are rampant, keep letting them have time together in the evenings I feel things will settle down and he'll fit in it just takes time. Let us know how it's going.

Back
Top Bottom