Is this gold laced wyandotte?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Emmasmom, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    Hi,

I am wondering about one of my chicks - I purchased two buckeyes and two gold laced wyandottes. I noticed that one of the wyandottes is almost solid black/gray (just a hint of yellow around her cheeks). I was wondering if this is normal color variation or if she is a different breed (there were New Jersey giants next to them). Thanks for the advice![​IMG][​IMG]

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

HUH... Think you might have a black giant... BUT, give it a few weeks, so then you will know for sure. It just may be that it got darker feathering.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    it has a rose comb, it is a wyandotte, might just be a black one, some hatcheries have blue Wyandottes, so you will get black, blue, splash chicks. Could still be a gold laced though.

And its just "Jersey Giants".

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    Oops, thanks for the correction! [​IMG]

This may be a stupid question, but how can you tell what kind of comb a chick has?

Thanks!

5. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
  6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    It just looks like a min version of the adult one, it doesn't "grown in" or change much in shape, it just gets larger. Its a little had to tell because you have buckeyes (pea combs), but looks at them closely and see if you can tell the difference. The rose comb is trianglular, and the pea comb will just be a little mound with a few small bumps, it will get more defined as it gets bigger, and will be 3 rows of bumps. A single comb looks like a little sawtooth. I am on my phone so I can't post pics, but you can go to feathersite.com and look at chick picture to see the different combs. :D

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    You only have one golden laced wyandotte, the one with brown markings on the face. In the front second photo.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by