Is this gonna be a rose comb?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yellowcoop1, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Yellowcoop1

Yellowcoop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    I am very new to chickens. I've had my flock of 19 girls for just over 3 weeks now. They are all doing well. Spoiled for sure.

One of my EEs, they are all apx 9 weeks old, looks to be starting a rose comb (if that's possible). Do EEs get rose combs or are they only breed specific to something else. Can someone tell me what it means. Here's a photo as clear as I can get it. Thanks[​IMG]

2. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you have a rooster there. That looks like a rooster's three row pea comb and the red coloring in common of a rooster. Do you have a more clear picture of the chicken?

ETA I meant to say red or splotchy coloring on the wings is usually a pretty good indicator of an EE rooster.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    This is what a rose comb looks like on a 5 week old silver laced wyandotte/ee mix. They are wide and flatish, with bumps showing up as they get older.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I should also say the gender of both of these is yet to be determined, however I suspect one if not both are roosters.

4. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    That is a pea comb. Araucanas, EEs, and Ameraucanas have them. I've never seen rose combs on any of these breeds. Rose combs will be raised with a spike coming out of the back, while peas have the ridges or rows down the middle. Look up pictures of Wyandottes or Sebrights for good examples. (even though Sebrights can have single combs too.)

5. Yellowcoop1

Jun 13, 2014
    Little stinker. How'd he get in the bunch. I guess I will wait and see. He/it does have the red on the wings/back. I try to find.a pic. The farmer said if for any reason I get a Roo she will exchange it so no worries for me. I have two Wyandottes (Columbia. And silver laced and the combs do look light and flat right now. I was wondering why nothing was showing yet. They do look like the ones above. [​IMG]

6. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Yup, i am about 99.9% sure that is a roo. I'm certain others will agree, but you can repose both pics in "what breed/gender is this" category. I like him!

7. Yellowcoop1

Jun 13, 2014
    Thanks Misty. I'm good with your opinion. I spoke to the farmer I got him/it from and she will take him back and give me a girl. Just gonna wait to see for 100%. I wish I could have a Roo. I live too close to my neighbors, even though I'm on almost 1/2 acre, the houses are close and things echo like crazy I between them. Oh well. Thanks a lot!!!!!

8. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    No problem! Awesome that the person you got them from is willing to exchange. I am on the other end if thingsā€¦ too many roosters!!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree, pea comb on what's going to be a handsome rooster. Glad the seller will make it right for you!

10. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by