1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this good bedding for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rhodeislandred1, Mar 2, 2014.

1. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    no that has ceder in it...jeff

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Carefresh does not have cedar in it, but the knockoff does. I don't like this bedding, it's very dusty and has caused me nothing but problems when using it for mammals.

3. flowerfaeiry

flowerfaeiry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    I use pine shavings, no cedar. Plain old pine shavings are way cheaper than the care fresh. Walmart usually carries the giant bags (3cf) for $6 or $7 and most any pet store has them.

4. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    sorry about that it is the original...and I have seen bags like that at the store and they did have ceder I should have looked at the picture...jeff

5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I get my pine shavings at Walmart too, just be sure to check the individual bags to make sure it has large flakes and very little "fines" in the bottom, the finesy bags are very dusty, likely the end of the production line bagged up.

6. flowerfaeiry

flowerfaeiry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    Yes, that is true. Also, they do carry the cedar too, so be sure you are getting pine. I have lately been buying Guardian pine flakes from Blains Farm & Fleet. Watch for free shipping sales.

7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I use either the Tractor Supply pine chips or the generic I get at Southern States farm store. It's about $5.50 for a compressed bag that expands to cover 8 cubic feet. Works great!

8. blackbelt

blackbelt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    bloomington springs tn
    Here on the homestead I use pine shavings in the winter they have about 10 inches of it. I'll also toss in a couple flakes of straw. Has worked fine for years now. I'll throw a hand full of meal worms in their, the girls love it.

9. wabashchickens

wabashchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2014
    Whatever you use except cedar will be fine I use straw because they like it better to scratch but at a point you have to remember their chickens and their livestock they don't need anything fancy my aunt has raised chickens for nearly 20 year and uses no bedding and cleans out her coop once a year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by