1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this gray and black boy an Americauna rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GretAnglin, Aug 11, 2014.

1. GretAnglin

GretAnglin Just Hatched

May 23, 2014
    West Tennessee
    [​IMG]

Americauna? Or something else? Sorry to be so inexperienced, I couldn't find him online when I tried looking it up, Thanks!

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Looks like an Easter Egger roo. Many hatcheries and feed stores sell EEs as Ameraucanas. However, this is incorrect because EEs are not a 'true' breed, and are therefore not show quality and do not meet the standard of perfection etc. They are one of my favorite breeds to own. You do have a handsome boy there!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Easter Egger rooster. The greenish legs are a dead giveaway. Easter Eggers are produced by crossing blue egg laying breeds (either Ameraucanas or Araucanas) with other breeds to produce offspring that lay eggs in other colors (olive, green, beige, and even pale pink and gold). Hatcheries often market these Easter Eggers under the labels, Araucanas or Ameraucanas (often misspelled Americana or Americauna). There is a good article on the differences between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Easter egger cockerel.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That is a lovely EE cockerel you have there.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by