Is this Guinea a hen??????? I NEED TO KNOW!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by M To The Maxx, Jan 29, 2011.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I am looking to buy a Guinea hen from a guy and he does not know what the sex of them are. They are 6 months old. Is this one a hen?
    [​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Can't tell from the picture, the wattles look too big for a 6 month hen and the crown looks small for 6 months old either sex. Just listen to the call, if it's two notes it's a hen.

3. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    What do you mean by notes?

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    If it has a two syllable call - they call it a buck wheat call - it's a girl. Boys can only make a one syllable call. I think it looks like a girl if it was older, not sure about a six month old.

5. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    If it helps they are a little less than 1/2 the size of a full grown RIR roo.

6. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    This should be what a female sounds like. Mine are younger than yours by a couple of months but their heads aren't as mature. they don't have waddles yet.

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Looks like what an older hen would but since it is that young I'm not real sure. Are you only getting one? Could you post another picture?

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Buck wheat, buck wheat repeated on and on and on and---- is a hen. Rapid staccato one note repeated rapidly is a male. Sexing on physical characteristics can be real iffy.

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    You cannot tell gender for sure from pics with guineas. Listen to their calls. The link that Cracking Up shared is a good example of a female's call. Males CANNOT make this call.

EITHER gender can make this call:

10. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Females can also make the one note call. All of mine do when they see predators.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by