1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this guy Black Maran or Black Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Olekushka123, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Olekushka123

Olekushka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    Got 2 of them from somebody who had too many roosters. They didn't know what kind of breed they were. Can you tell me? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Marans is unlikely--in US they should have feathered shanks.

Australorp if the bottoms of his feet are pink, Jersey Giant if the bottoms of his feet are yellow.

3. Olekushka123

Jan 7, 2015
    The color of his legs and feed kind of blackish, no feathers.

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Australorp I would think.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's likely a Black Australorp (if the bottoms of its feet are any color but yellow). If they are yellow, it's a Black Jersey Giant. Either way, it's definitely not a Marans.

6. Olekushka123

Jan 7, 2015
    Just went and checked the bottom of his feet. Looks pail pink. So, it is Australorp? These to guys so defenseless. The other younger roosters pecking them left and right, needed to separate them. Does it run with this breed?

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's definitely an Australorp rooster then. How many roosters do you have? And how many hens do you have them with? The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will not only fight with each other constantly, but they will over-breed your hens, bite and pluck the feathers from their backs and necks, batter them, and potentially, seriously injure them. I would seriously recommend culling down the number of roosters until you reach that 10 to 1 ratio. The only reason you need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard.

8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    PS. I would keep the most gentle rooster(s). You don't want to breed aggression into your flock.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Black Australorp to me.

10. Olekushka123

Jan 7, 2015
    Thanks Michael for info. The reason why I putted these 2 Black guys with my hens, the turkeys and few other roosters almost pecked them to death. Usually I don't have any roosters with the hens, they are in the separated area. I keep roosters for the breeding purposes. The lady who sold me these 2 Blacks for $5 tolled me that she got them from so called "private hatchery" as Black Marans and she payed $9 per chick. After the chick grow they all turned in to roosters. Will keep them and get for them Black Austr. hens. This guys very gentle, looks like would not harm even a fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by