Is this guy doing what I THINK he is doing?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IcedMochaChick, Dec 23, 2008.

1. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    We've had these two silkie chicks for about a month and 1/2 now. Johnny, the one facing the camera, we think is a male. Today when I went to check on the chickens he was trying to jump on Babs'! Aren't they too young for "that" kind of thing? They still look like babies to me!

[​IMG]

2. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Here's another picture I took of them yesterday.
    Babs is starting to get her beard!
    [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At that age they were probably playing around. I find silkies a bit slow on the maturity charts.

4. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Oh how sweet they look.
    Did you say they are only 5 to 6 weeks old?
    That is awfully young!
    I am not sure. None of my roos did not do that til about 4 to 5 mnths.[​IMG]

5. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Whew! That really had me puzzled! Thanks [​IMG]
    He's way more into jumping around and "flying" than the little girl. She, mostly, just wants to scratch around. She's the first to run up and grab a treat, then he chases after her trying to get it. They're so entertaining!

6. joshplus10

joshplus10 Out Of The Brooder

My 3 month old Delaware roo is doing it, but, as far as I can tell, the easter eggers roos hatched on the same day aren't.

The Delaware is the biggest and most aggressive so he has earned the opportunity to protect the ladies from predators. [​IMG]

The others are headed for Camp Freezer. [​IMG]

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    All mine (4.5 months old) are full into the love making with the laying hens. Haven't seen them mount any pullets though. They're nasty and like to run trains [​IMG] Once one hen is down, they ALL go after her. My poor ladies! Heck, my poor roos that are first in line! [​IMG] They usually get some too.

8. TT

TT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Florida
    My barred rock roos have started - they are about 5 months old. Last night my husband (who has never been around chickens til now) told me that one of my roosters was attacking one of the hens. I asked him what the rooster was doing and after he told me I said that wasn't attacking. [​IMG] Poor guy I laughed so hard at him - he didn't know, but it was funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by