Is this hen a silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rhubarb, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Hatching

Aug 4, 2010
    Portland
    I got this beautiful little chicken, Squid, from a nearby farm when she was approximately one month old this past March. They said she was a Silkie, but she has never fluffed out.

She has five toes and fully feathered legs and feet, turquoise earlobes, mulberry wattles and the correct type of comb and crest. She just started laying eggs last week and they are small and pinkish cream. So basically she has all the Silkie attributes except for fluffy feathers. Does this happen sometimes?

The first photo is her on my lap at ~ 2 months old and the second is her about a month ago in mid dust bath with her green/black feathers puffed out.

She's a darling little bird, I'm just curious if she's an atypical Silkie or maybe some sort of Silkie mix?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. clacasse88

clacasse88 Songster

Sep 13, 2009
    Sorry I can't help identify, but I think she is beautiful!

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Half silkie. Very pretty [​IMG]

Other half perhaps cochin.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. Karrie13

Karrie13 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:[​IMG] She is pretty!

5. TXmom

TXmom Songster

I agree with above posters...definitely half Silkie. A lot of Silkie traits are dominant, but not the Silkie feathering.

6. chickenriot

chickenriot Songster

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    What a sweet little face ! [​IMG]

7. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Hatching

Aug 4, 2010
    Portland
    Ooooh! Thanks everyone, I think she could very well be part Cochin. I also got a Sizzle hen, Lefty, from the same farm. The lady seemed to have A LOT of birds and who knows what sort of rounds the roosters were making! Here's a picture of Lefty the Sizzle.

[​IMG]

8. chickenhand

chickenhand Hatching

Aug 3, 2010
    yah i think its part cochin part silkie but i think thats a really nice looking chicken.

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Frizzling is a dominant trait, but it makes a wreck of the bird's feathers when homozygous (inherited from both parents). When most people breed for Frizzles, they breed Frizzle to smooth, and roughly half of the chicks wind up with smooth feathers. My guess is that Squid and Lefty probably have the same parents; Lefty got the frizzled feathers, and Squid didn't. If you were breeding for Sizzles, Squid would be good to pair with a Sizzle roo; you'd want to breed Lefty with a smooth to avoid Frazzles (homozygous Frizzles).

10. ECreech81

ECreech81 In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Kentucky
    She's Pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by