Is this hen or roo, please. Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jools8, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jools8

jools8 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Hi. I've raised this bird from a 1 week old chick and I'm completely new to chicken keeping though now thoroughly addicted! Anyway, this is my adopted bird, now at 12 weeks. Any ideas if it is a rooster or hen? Someone suggested it's a white leghorn. Would you agree on this? Thanks v.much, any info valuable

[​IMG]

2. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    At 12 weeks with that much comb and wattle growth, I would say rooster, and it does look like a Leghorn probably.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    The cranky look on his face makes me think rooster. But perhaps he's just not happy with what's in that feeding dish.

4. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I would say for only 12 weeks, that much comb and the tail feathers starting, I would guess rooster. When you can see pointed or round saddle feathers, that will help confirm it. (pointed for a roo, round for a hen)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I don't know, leghorns get a lot of comb, early, but it is pretty red. I guess I would still have to lean toward rooster.

6. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I've got red and brown leghorn pullets right now that are 4 months old and none of them have that much comb and stuff yet...their combs have just lately started getting a little bigger.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    It's a roo - even leghorn pullets do not have that developed of a comb & wattles at 12 weeks of age. It does look like a leghorn to me too.

This is one of my leghorn pullets at 14 weeks of age (sorry it's not a better photo - it's the only one I have of them at this age)
    If you look close, you can still see her comb & wattles though:
    [​IMG]

19 weeks of age (2-3 weeks before she started laying).
    [​IMG]

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I would say white leghorn and looks to be a rooster as well. In my experience my leghorn hens had big combs but they didnt develop them till later than twelve weeks.

9. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    You can tell if it's a leghorn if you surprize it. They tend to be verrrrrrrrrrry nervous!! I personally think it's a roo. [​IMG]

10. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    I'd say rooster also- from those two curved tail feathers starting to grow. As big as it is - it won't be long before you 'll know for sure. Leghorn Roosters are beautiful but sometimes a little aggressive so watch for that. Maybe you'll get the exception and he'll be a big old teddy bear!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by