Is this hen ready to lay??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by capebird, Sep 22, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I've been waiting patiently for my girls to start laying. They are 18 weeks old now.
    This one shown in the attached pict is the most developed with here wattles and comb.
    Does she look like she might lay soon?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I was wondering the same thing about my girls. They are about 20 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup, she does. You might be disappointed with the small pullet eggs she lays for the first month, but yes, she looks quite ready. I've got a bunch that look just like her. They've been laying for a month or so.

4. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    We have three BR's that looked as red/developed as yours and they didn't start to lay until after about 24 weeks. They were red at about 18ish weeks. Have they started to squat yet? I was told that it might be today, might be 3 weeks, but it will happen when they feel like it! Very frustrating waiting for that first egg.

5. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    yup. If you look at her behind... [​IMG] and the fluffy feathers that are under her tail feathers are kind of like half a sphere looking (really poofy) then she is even closer. Is she squatting?

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    they will usually squat when you approach them from behind right before they start to lay, but both Cape and nurse's pics looks like any day now

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  7. capebird

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Hi... thanks for the replies.
    No squatting yet, so far as I can tell... but I've been keeping an eye out for it.
    Very vocal though.

Nice looking hens there... Nurse_Turtle

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Yea, I check the box every day. I haven't noticed squatting but when I stroke her from neck to tail, she squats and I've seen my roo "Emu" loving on his girls. Not sure if the dominiques are any slower to lay than the barreds.

9. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    If it helps any my Barred Rock pullets just started laying and I just found one sitting on several eggs yesterday under my sons slide.

Piece of advice, go ahead and put an egg in the nests and show them where its at, it did the trick for mine today, obviously they wont lay just because you do this but it will help guide them in the right direction as to where they should lay.

10. capebird

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I have 2 nest boxes and put a golf ball in each. When I open the nest boxes, which are mounted
    on the outside of their coop... they all come up and get into the nest boxes to look out...which I take
    as a good sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by