Is this henpecking???? ****picture****

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happychickengirls, Jan 29, 2011.

1. happychickengirls

happychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    I went out in my coop this morning to find that one of my hens has a bald spot in the back of her neck. I only have four hens and they have a decent sized coop. I have never had a problem with any of them pecking each other before. They have all grown up together.
    Is it just a random thing???? I know its winter and cold - I know I have cabin fever and Im sure they might have it too since their is about four feet of snow here and no ones been out since its snowed although they have grazing room outside their coop to hang out in.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Probably is, do you have anything for them to do while cooped up so to speak? cabbage hung on wire or string for them to nibble at or scratch tossed around inside the coop floor for them to scratch around in, also flock block is something most birds like to peck at.. Doesn't look to bad yet. if you know who's doing it and you have a way to remove her for a few days that sometimes upsets the pecking order enough to stop it.. if you see raw spots on her skin, you need to cover it with something like bluekote so they can't see red...

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's molting. Look closely and you will note feather shafts encased in a shiney material. They are "pin" or "blood" feathers. This coating will fall off, and once again she will be beautiful.

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    My two buff Orps look exactly like that! I thought it odd theyd be molting at this time of year but I guess they aren't the only ones.

5. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    One of my EE's is doing the same thing - lost most of her neck feathers and a lot of her tail. She looks really scraggly. I also had a lot of white powdery stuff on the coop floor (they just go up there to roost and I have a vinyl floor I clean daily so it was pretty obvious). They free range all day so they have plenty to do and I didn't notice any of the hens pecking at her, and she seemed healthy otherwise, so I researched it on BYC and figured she was molting. It's been 4-5 weeks and some of her feathers seem to be coming back in.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  6. happychickengirls

happychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the info on my chicken. I really thought she was probably getting henpecked. I wouldn't have thought she would
    be molting at this time of year.
    As for keeping them busy in winter -Yes, I have tried the flock blocks to help with henpecking- they never even touched it!!!!!!
    So out to the birds it went!!!! They are not big on cabbage either- however I do throw some seed in their hayed in area so they
    can scratch about and they do get their treats regularly. Yes they are very spoiled!!! But loved dearly.....Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by