Is this hens comb normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moodybubbles, Aug 28, 2014.

1. moodybubbles

moodybubbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 5 easter eggers, 2 of these production reds and a easter egger rooster. The only other one to really have much of a comb is the roo and his stands straight up.

This chickens comb is floppy, off to one side and has bits of brownish black near the base. She isn't laying yet. I got her as a young chick April 8, 2014. I have had meat birds (accidentally, didn't know they weren't egg layers when I got them from tractor supply) and their combs looked like this but they died because they were ginormous and meant for slaughter young.

Is this comb ok? I am giving them layer mash, they get to free range for a few hours each day. Also I started the nipple waterers instead of the bucket with holes that I used with the last chickens. I have a small regular waterer in the coop and I'm wondering if it is lack of water? It seems that they prefer the more readily available water from the regular waterer but I'm hoping for a cleaner closed system and want to get rid of the regular waterer and just stick with nippled bottles out in the run and the new nipple system in the coop.

2. moodybubbles

Aug 30, 2009
    Oh and also it has been super hot in texas. Could it just be the heat?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That looks pretty normal to me. Some chickens naturally have combs that flop over slightly.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    The comb looks perfectly fine. She has a lopped single comb and showing face section of her comb, which would be a disqualification when showing. It is just a common deformity from hatchery stock birds.

5. moodybubbles

Aug 30, 2009
    Thanks. I won't worry about illness or water supply then :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by