IS this homemade or real???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by josh_bigler, Jul 14, 2008.

1. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    Im looking for another incubator and ran across this, it looks homemade but they claim its not?? hmm... http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/753165801.html i emailed them and this is the reply.......

no it is not home made. it was made by G.Q.F. manufacturing company in Georgia,

i know gqf has been around for a long time but wouldnt the waferboard absorb humidity??? tell me if im wrong please

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Doesn't look like a "real" one to me.

3. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I have a sportsman 1500 series and have seen also the older model 1200's and the one in the craigs list ad is definitely NOT an originial sportsman IMHO.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It's homemade.

5. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    i did not think so myself, im sure they are probably trying to get a bang for their buck, 300 bucks for that? i would have atleast used better material if it were me, but its a good idea to make one, but not to sell it and say its something its not.. thats my opinion

6. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    don't buy that !!! in fact, don't use particle board, it has formaldehyde in it and the eggs will die. I bought my sportsman from a person who spent $2k to build an incubator barn out of particle board and because of the formaldehyde, she had to pay another $3k for a second one to be built without particle board because she couldn't get the eggs to make it past d23-25 (emu eggs).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Would a straight-out-of-the-box styrofoam incubator harm the eggs? It smelled like plastic, but I didn't have time to let it air before I had to use it.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I have 4 or 5 of them. They work just fine.

9. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Out of curiosity, I looked up the GQF incubators, and found this. It's a newer model, and maybe better, but the quality looks ALOT better than the particle board , obviously home made one on craisgslist

[​IMG]

10. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I saw one similar to this a couple days ago at my butcher. I am not sure of the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by