1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this hoop house large enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lisamarie, Sep 6, 2009.

1. lisamarie

lisamarie Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    hi all,

we are going to build this hoop house for our 35 laying hens. they will only be in it all together at night. during the day, they will be outside free ranging in a large area enclosed w/ electric chicken fencing. i am just wondering, though, if they need more space to roost at night? i only had smaller flocks in the past, but they always seemed to squeeze up close to each other at night anyway. is the recommended required space per bird for chicken coops for birds that are kept in those coops most of the time?

here is the link for the hoop house: www.plamondon.com/hoop-coop.html

thanks!
    lisa

2. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    I think that it is much smaller than the sugested 3-4sq. ft per bird. I don't think the problem is at night, but what about bad weather when they have to stay in the coop a lot. I guess it just depends on your weather, winter, and how much time they actually stay in the coop. Could you use two cattle panels and double the size?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:The one pictured is made from 2 cattle panels. I would suggest doubling the size, then they should be just fine. Or you could make 2-8'x9' tractors and divide the group.

4. lisamarie

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    well, we have a pretty mild winter, but lots of rain. we are in northern california.

yikes, i guess because i saw that it would house 75-100 broilers i just assumed it would be fine for 35 hens, but i guess they butcher the broilers so young that they don't need that space.

good idea to build 2. i don't think i could move around one that is doubled in size. not sure i could convince my husband to build 2.

do you think there is any way one would work given our mild climate?

thanks!
    lisa

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you plan on them free-ranging anyway, you probably wouldn't need to move it around. Tight spaces can lead to all sorts of problems, so you are better off having more space than you need.

6. lisamarie

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    well, i do want to keep them contained to certain areas w/in a large space w/ the electranet and then move the coop/fencing every week or so depending on how quickly they go through the area. i don't want poop in places i don't want poop and want to keep them protected from predators. i have lost a lot of chickens in the past to foxes and now we are in an area w/ even more predators!

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Check with Sarabeth, she made one this past spring. There is a thread on it around here some place.

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    If you're going to put 35 in there, you'll need to move it 2-3 times daily if you don't want poo.

I only have 3 little banties in a dog house turned banty coop/tractor and it just amazes me how much they can poo.

I move it every morning and the 2.5' x 8' area is covered in poo.

I'm planning a cattle panel tractor for my 8 full size layers that I'm going to use 3 sections of cattle panel. I'll put wheels all around so it's easier to move.

[​IMG]

9. lisamarie

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    what an awesome doghouse coop!

well, i am going to have a much larger area outside of the coop and contain them w/in that during the day w/ electric net fencing for chickens. have to find out dimensions, but it will be large enough so that i don't have to move it every day. maybe every few days/week. hopefully.

lisa

10. lisamarie

May 12, 2008
    northern california

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by