Is this horse right for me? ( Thoroughbred )

farm girl

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 6, 2012
In the USA
Is this horse right for me? My mothers Friend is getting rid of a horse. He is a Thoroughbred, 7 years old, bay, 17 hands. He has raced ones and showed ones. She dose not have room for him were she is going to move and she dose not ride him as much as she yoost to. I have been riding for two and almost 3 years. I know how to ride very well the only thing i do not know how to do is gallop. ( never tried )I have also raced in a 2 by 2 point race( for fun ), and hill topped he might need to do that. I would just trail ride him and ride in the ring. Not for money or a prize. I just won't to ride for fun. To have him as a friend. Should i get him? oh, my ridding teacher is going to ride him and see what she thinks than me. Is this horse right for me?
roll.png

Well, a lot of it depends on the horse and if both of you "click". It sounds like a good idea to have your instructor ride him and assess him before you purchase.

Nothing you have said about this horse is a red flag to me, but it will depend on the fit between him and you. Asking whether this horse is right on a forum like this is kind of like asking, "will these curtains look good with this furniture" without posting pictures of either!
tongue.png

I agree that getting your riding instructor to check him out first is a good idea. She knows your style and skill level. and she (hopefully) will be able to evaluate the horse with that in mind.

Can't honestly answer that question. You said you've ridden for three years and never galloped. An off the track thoroughbred knows one thing: gallop. They usually don't steer that well, and the meaning of whoa is foreign to them. And to be perfectly honest, after riding for nearly three years you should be accomplished riding at the gallop.

Having your riding instructor ride the horse is an excellent idea. With extensive training, many thoroughbreds do adapt to life off the track. An experienced person can usually gauge what kind of personality a particular horse has. While some thoroughbreds do well on the trail, many excel at more advanced forms of riding: dressage, 3 day eventing and so forth. Not to mention a 17 hand horse will require a step ladder to get on.

While this horse may do better with a more experienced rider, you might be able to pull this off with your riding instructor working with you. However, if at any point the horse intimidates you, tell your instructor. If your inner voice tells you this horse is too much, get off and find another horse more suitable for your experience level.

Good luck and be safe!

Have your instructor ride him and see what she says. If he is a true 17 hands (people are notorious for overestimating horse heights) see if you like that height. I personally don't.

Thoroughbreds tend to be more sensitive than breeds like Quarter Horses and react "bigger" to stuff than those breeds. How long has the horse been off the track? I worked with 2 off the track TBs in high school. One was psychotic, the other one enjoyed his "retirement" from the track and was quite happy to trot around the arena. It will depend on him and you.

A lot of off the track TBs can be successfully transitioned from track to other disciplines: jumping, trail, dressage, eventing, endurance, pleasure shows.

Whatever you do, keep taking lessons. Good luck

How much faith do you have in your riding instructor? Is she an actual, qualified instructor or just a friend or other person helping you do some riding? You really do need the opinion of a very experienced horse person here. That's a lot of horse you are considering taking on. If you have that kind of person who truly is capable of making that evaluation of the horse and whether it will fit with your capabilities then it can't hurt to check it out. Just consider very carefully what this horse has been doing up to now and what you want from a horse. If you are wanting a good, bomb proof, easy going trail horse that will give you a safe ride I'm not sure an off the track TB is the best horse for the job. If you were a very experienced rider or if you have a good, experienced trainer to work with the horse that may be another story, it just really depends on the horses temperment. The most important factor is your safety.

Last edited:
If your riding instruct is very knowledgeable and legit in her teachings i would def have her try him out before you buy him.Thoughbreds can tend to be high strung horses at times,but they can be great mounts.He isnt to young so he may have a good head on his shoulders.my best suggestion is def. Have your instructor work with him and then have you mount up and watch you ride him. Does he have good manners? Best of luck to you :)

I have a horse that i ride and she started to buck when i started to canter and my ridding teacher helped me though and i did very good. Plus she has lifted up on her front feet before. Now we worked things out! So i am a very good rider exempt i never tried a gallop.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom