Is this Impacted Crop?

Gingasnap

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
Today I noticed my hen, Petunia, doing this weird gagging motion so I decided to see what was up with her. After a quick examination I found that her crop is really hard and swollen feeling.
Is this impacted crop, and if so, what should I do? I read online that you should give the chicken olive oil, and massage, but if anyone else has tips Id be very appreciative.

20210830_094241.jpg
20210830_094231.jpg
20210830_094228.jpg

Her crop appears to be pendulous, which could be a chronic problem. That is when the crop muscle is stretched out and may not return to normal. A crop bra sometimes helps when you can get the crop to empty some. Placing her in a dog crate with only water, and electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml for a day to see if her crop empties might be good. I would massage her crop several times a day to try and break up the impaction. Then check it in early morning before she has drunk to see if it has gone down. Some recommend tube feeding water to help move the impaction along. Do you have granite poultry grit available?

It can be dangerous to give oil directly into the beak, especially if they choke and aspirate it. It would be safer to either use chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces for them to peck, or to use oil in a little cooked egg. A tsp would be a usual dosage of either. Here is a good article to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

@Eggcessive
I did decide to go with chilled coconut oil after reading a few different articles and that helped, I tried massaging her but not much really came out so Ill try a brace on her and set up her own little crate for now. I do give my hens a mix of granite and oyster shell grit, if that helps with any info.

I tried massaging her but not much really came out

You're not trying to get anything to "come out" at this point. You want her food to go down into her digestive tract, not up and out the mouth in case that's what you meant.

Vomiting a chicken is risky because it's pretty easy to aspirate the bird (get fluid in its lungs).

Ah, okay. Ill stop doing that then! She seems to be doing fine right now, but I definitely want to get her a brace or something
You're not trying to get anything to "come out" at this point. You want her food to go down into her digestive tract, not up and out the mouth in case that's what you meant.

Vomiting a chicken is risky because it's pretty easy to aspirate the bird (get fluid in its lungs).

Back
Top Bottom