Is this impulse purchase a Japanese bantam?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bethanyrae, May 23, 2010.

1. bethanyrae

bethanyrae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    mid-Michigan
    Is this little fellow a Japanese Bantam....or what? His comb was distinctive at a couple of weeks old, making me think he's not an OEG bantam. We picked him and two others up at a feed store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a little pullet of I think the same breed:

[​IMG]

(The other chicks you're seeing there are slightly younger lavendar Ameraucana Bantams)

Thanks so much for any suggestions I can follow up on.
    bethanyrae

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Looks like a selfblue OEGB roo. [​IMG]

3. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Hmm, the hackles are a tad dark to be self blue. I think it's Blue, not self blue. WHat do you think?

But definitely a pair of OEGs.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They are blue, and appear to be oegbs.

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Confirming OEGB here! I have a bunch of self blue and blue OEGB chicks about the same age right now, maybe a little older, and they looked just like that!

6. bethanyrae

Apr 5, 2009
    mid-Michigan
    Hey, Thanks!
    What is the difference between the the blue and the self blue?
    Also I have one other pullet who is similar but just a little darker overall in her coloring.

Here's a pic of the one I posted already next to the darker one:

[​IMG]

Thanks again
    bethanyrae

7. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Those birds are both blue. Blue (aka andalusian blue) is an incompletely dominant gene. One copy gives you blue, two gives you splash. Self blue is a recessive gene. Twp copies are required for it to be visible on a bird. Andalusian blue birds are a darker blue, with dark lacing around each feather. Self blue is an even light slaty blue.

Here are a couple blue birds

[​IMG]

This bird has nice lacing

[​IMG]

And self blue birds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bethanyrae

Apr 5, 2009
    mid-Michigan
    Hey,
    Thanks, LilPeeps, for the info and the pictures. You have some beautiful birds!
    This genetics thing is quite interesting, but still a little confusing.

If I were to someday breed the lighter roo there with either the lighter or darker female, does this mean I could get some splash chicks? Maybe some blue? I'm not sure I understood it correctly.

The self blue....is that what they sometimes call lavendar?

If you go to my page, you'll see some pics I have of some adult Lavendar Ameraucana bantams from the Blehm line. Are those what you call self blue? They don't look as pure and light as those pics on the bottom that you showed me. Were your pics of self blues?

This is fun.....
    Thanks,
    bethanyrae

9. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Thanks, but the birds in the pics in the above post do not belong to me. I mainly have silkies, and its a bit hard to show patterns with silkie feathers LOL. On my site, I do have some pics of my lavender (self blue) and other silkies.

Yes, self blue and lavender are used to describe the same gene.

Breeding blue x blue will give you 25% black, 50% blue, and 25% splash.

Your ameraucanas are self blue. Sometimes with self blue, you will get a decreased feather quality, which can show up as dark horizontal lines across the feathers, and these give the birds color an uneven appearance. This can be eliminated, it just takes some selective breeding to get it out.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by