Is this incubator any good? Any reccommendations?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cupman, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    This is the incubator I have been looking at: https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77#

I
    know nothing about incubators or the incubation process itself. I mean, I've read a little bit but I'm a complete novice at this point. I wanted to get an incubator that would automatically do the turning for me, because I'd hate to miss a day or something and have it screw the baby chicks up. Near the bottom it says, "Without an automatic turner in place, the incubator will hold 50 large duck or chicken eggs or 140 quail eggs." This has me a bit confused, is it implying that with a turner in place there will be less room? The automatic turner holds 42 eggs so perhaps that's why it says that.

I am interested in hatching chicken eggs but I would also like to do quail and depending how adventurous I get possibly guinea fowl or even cornish game hen. Does this look like a very good incubator to you experienced folks? Do you have a different recommendation for an incubator? I'm not the richest guy in the world so I was thinking of trying to keep my costs around or below $250. This setup is around $180. Thank you.

2. pfmoore17

pfmoore17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    CT
    I have a Genesis. It is an excellent machine for incubating and hatching eggs. Best of the styroform machine. If your budget is 250, check out the Brinsea Eco 20 w/ turner.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Near the bottom it says, "Without an automatic turner in place, the incubator will hold 50 large duck or chicken eggs or 140 quail eggs." This has me a bit confused, is it implying that with a turner in place there will be less room? The automatic turner holds 42 eggs so perhaps that's why it says that.

Eggs without a turner can fit side by side and fit more; put in a turner they are upright but evenly spaced apart, so fewer fit. I have been turning by hand and I would like to have less hands on next time. Hand turning is 3-5 times a day, picking up and maybe dropping an egg ( I did) and checking that all are turned, recording the x or o to keep track which way I'm turning them. I did like the "hands on" aspect that taught me a whole lot though! TIme for a turner or tip the incubator with a 2 x 4 under one end.

Incubating is a great learning experience. Very emotional, tense, frustrating, exciting, exhillerating, satisfying . . . you get the idea!​

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I hear this is a pretty good model. It's the one I want to get.
    Mitch

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Yea I think its a good bator, I know a few people that have them & have done good with it.

6. destin0709

destin0709 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Ohio
    I have that one. It seems to work fine. I only used mine once, trying it a second time now. I got my genisis 1588 as a combo kit for $177.00. Came with turner, thermometer, digital thermometer/hygrometer and candling light (love this light soft rim for eggs to sit on). They have other combo kits also or sell separate. www.incubatorwarhouse.com

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think the 1588 Genesis Hova-Bators are the better styrofoam table top incubators. You can fit more eggs in with out the turner but I like the turner. The biggest problem I have had with styrofoam incubators is getting the humidity up during lock down so when I take the turner out and set the eggs for hatching, I add a half pint mason jar with water and a sponge in it. The sponge acts like a wick and it really helps to bring the humidity up.

8. destin0709

destin0709 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:How much water do you put in the mason jar? And about how much does it bring the humidity up? I needed a little more humidity for hatching too and found it was hard to get straw to reach some of the grooves from the center hole on top of the incubator. I had to keep opening the lid to get to some spots which dropped my humidity and temps. I did try a sponge in a soap dish but it would then go to high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by