Is this incubator any good??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thechooks22, Aug 21, 2013.

1. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Hi i just brought an incubator on ebay ...and i was wondering if anyone has used or is using this type and if it is any good?

2. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    [​IMG]

3. aussie pete

aussie pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    used one of those borrowed for my first attempt at incubation ,result 18 out of 19 hatched .
    used a separate thermometer /hygrometer to check .
    had to put water bottles in and wrap in sleeping bag to maintain temp- good luck

4. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Oh ..it sounds like it may be good quality then if you got 18/19
    I have never used an incubator before ....and i only ordered it this morning so i wont be here for a few days but i an really excited
    I am going to incubate some of my silver laced wyandotte eggs and maybe some layer eggs and a few other that i buy
    Thankyou for replying!

5. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

I have one of those which I used as a hatcher only. My results were ok, but you will need a really good thermometer and hygrometer to keep a close eye on temp and humidity.

have fun hatching, its great. I have some Marans due tomorrow.

6. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Oh good luck with you chickies!! ...i have a thermostat which has a thermometer on it ...would that work well?

7. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

As long as it is accurate. That incubator seems to hold the temp ok as long as you get it set right in the first place. If you can keep it in a place where the temp is reasonably consistent, then that will help. You will still need to keep track of the humidity as well. Although that is ok to fluctuate, whereas the temp has to stay around 100/37.5.

8. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Thankyou!

9. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Hi also the add for it says easy to use all you have to do is add the eggs .....dont i need to turn them?

10. aussie pete

aussie pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    yes ,u need to turn a min of 3 times a day -180 degrees - mark eggs with a" x " & " o " on opposite sides with pencil- hand roll from x till o shows then next time roll o till x shows .

should be odd number of times a day so eggs don't sit in same spot over nite- most do 3 or 5 times

i keep a note pad next to incubator & record time, temp /humidity & tick - to record i did roll -so i have a record to go back to if i have any problems at hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by