Is this infection? scar tissue?? healing??? Skin/eye HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mlheran, Dec 8, 2007.

1. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Fifi has developed something strange around her injured eye. The past two days it has started to look very swollen and yellow -it doesn't seem to be on the skin (like a growth), but the skin itself. The eye appears fine -no discharge or damage- it's just the skin around it. Most of the original scab is gone, just the bit at the corner of her eye remains.

I've been applying a topical antibiotic since she returned, so I don't know if this is because or in spite of that.

Any help is appreciated as this is my first injured bird and I'm not sure what I'm dealing with, thank you!

Her good side (under a red light, so the colors are a bit off):
    [​IMG]

And the bad side (also under a red light, and the flash and the ointment combine to make it look worse than it is):
    [​IMG]

What is this?! She's totally normal otherwise (aside from the broken wing, of course) and eating and pooping just fine.

2. mlheran

Nobody's seen anything like this? [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry, I haven't. Could be infected, but I've not seen infection look exactly like that before. Sorry I can't be more help.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It almost looks like a sty...

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    this is infection material (abscessed) from the injury... clean wel keep moist and remove (abscess material is not reabsorbed back in birds as it is with mammals)

6. mlheran

Quote:How do I remove the abscessed material? There are no open sores or anything draining, it's just swollen beneath the skin.

I will definitely keep a watch on it and keep up with the antibiotic ointment. Thank you!

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    well I can see the scabs... the cheesy looking stuff is from that I am surmising and not from a respiratory condition? keep it most and gently remove any material that "oozes" out.

8. mlheran

Quote:Nope, no respiratory problems/drainage/issues at all. It's just swelling and yellow skin around the eye. When I wiped it clean a minute ago to reapply the ointment I think there might have been some clearish-whitish fluid that drained from somewhere (hard to see as she was struggling and it was a white cloth). But I will definitely keep it clean, moist, and gently remove any matter that appears. Thank you again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by