Is this infection?

dskullz

Chirping
May 4, 2017
My little bantam got stuck between a cage and the run (I feel terrible and it's been moved). She either scalped herself getting stuck or her nice hen friends came and pecked her head before I found her. I cleaned with a saline solution. I've been spraying with vetericyn and using an antibiotic ointment on it daily. It looks infected to me but I don't know what I'm looking for. If it is infection I'm assuming I pull it out and start over again with cleaning? Or should I do something else?

Attachments

• IMG_20191009_093446.jpg
    IMG_20191009_093446.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 7
Sorry about your bantam. It doesn’t look infected so far, but it needs to be cleaned up and kept moist with plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment, bacitracin, or polysporin, etc. Clean it twice a day with either Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) and water, Betadine, or an animal disinfectant such as Vetericyn, and then apply ointment. Keep her separated from the others in a wire dog crate with food and water. She can remain in the coop with them in a cage to keep them all familiar, but watch out for flies which could get into the wound. She should heal eventually and recover as long as she didn’t have a brain injury or internal injuries.

Back
Top Bottom