Is this Jersey Giant (and how/when can they be sexed?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 6Happiness, Mar 3, 2011.

1. 6Happiness

6Happiness Songster

May 31, 2010
    Ordered 3 males and 7 females from McMurrays. There were also WF Spanish in the order but I think those would have more white on the face, am I correct? These 5 are the only black chicks that survived. They are approx. 3 weeks old. So these should all be JGs? If so, how/when can they be sexed (or can you take a guess now?) , thanks!

Extra large image over here: http://fithfath.com/agangi/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1017&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

[​IMG]

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Black legged with yellow on the underside of the feet are JG's

3. 6Happiness

6Happiness Songster

May 31, 2010
    Thanks,
    the toes are also light- is that normal for JG's (at least hatchery stock)?
    When can the sexes be fairly accurately guessed?

4. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    give it a few weeks. the legs will darken and the combs will become more prominant if they are roos. I ordered 5 pullets last spring and luckily got all 5 females, JG roos are monster huge!

5. 6Happiness

6Happiness Songster

May 31, 2010
    Ah, okay! Thanks

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    White Faced Black Spanish do not get their "white face" until much much later. [​IMG] Those look like Black Australorps to me. Jersey Giants will have a slight green tinge to the legs when young. But, who knows, hatchery stock can differ. . .

7. 6Happiness

6Happiness Songster

May 31, 2010
    Quote:I think its a hatchery stock thing... I have two adult black Langshans and I don't remember any greenish tinge on their legs when they were chicks either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: