1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this just a coincidence?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowltemptress, Jan 21, 2008.

1. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I hatched out 3 EE eggs for a friend (my only 100% hatch!). They were all cockerals. But I really don't think you can tell what sex they are considering they are all supposed to be incubated at the same temp.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Wouldn't that be sweet if you could tell what sex of a chick was just by looking at an egg? [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have read temps do have a cause in determining the sex when hatching eggs.

In La. 'gator breeders control the sex of the eggs they hatch by the temps with a high %age of predictability.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  5. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    MissPrissy is right about the gators... I just never would've thought about that working with chickens.. Did he happen to say if it needed to be higher or lower for pullets?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is only true in some reptiles. Not birds. The sex of birds is determined by the chromosomes that mix from the hen and the rooster. They are determined when the egg and sperm meets.

7. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I read that higher temps are rougher on female embryos and they may not survive to hatch. I don't think you can chnge the sex of the embryo by changing the temp. Sometimes I get more pullts than roos. I figure it's just a fluke, although for the past 2 Summers, from the chicks that hatched out in August, most of them were pullets.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    As posted previously, incubation temps determining gender only works in some reptiles and amphibians, not chickens.

The hen is the one that contributes the gender specific genes, unlike mammals, where the male determines gender.

Cool, eh?

If there was really an accurate way to determine gender hatch percentages from either incubation methods OR looking/testing an egg, there wouldn't be so many day-old chicks 'disposed' of by hatcheries when they are the 'wrong' gender to meet the sales demand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by