1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this just molting or something serious...?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuhnse51, Mar 19, 2015.

1. kuhnse51

kuhnse51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    My cockerel has started losing feathers around his head on one side mostly and there is some redness. He's acting normal and has plenty of energy. He dealt with some pretty nasty frost bite from this horrible winter but besides this has always acted fine. He has access to a dust bath and is the only one in the coop exhibiting the feather loss. He is the head of the coop.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check his skin for the pressence of mites or lice and their eggs, but it may be that he is being "over groomed" by one of his roost mates. It's fairly common in flocks, but make sure they are getting enough protein (at least 16%) and are not overcrowded or confined to the coop 24/7.

3. kuhnse51

kuhnse51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    I tried looking through his feathers before and didn't see anything and his skin looks normal everywhere else. I didn't think of the over grooming thing, this is very possible because his girls are very attentive to him. They have a run but most of it is snowed in right now so they are probably in the coop too much :/ I do let them roam around for a while when I get home at night. The feed they are on now is a 16% layer mix and I supplement him with some scrambled egg once in a while (more so when his frost bite was at its worst) I'm going to try that blu-kote stuff I think. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by