Is this just pasty butt or something worse??... 7 day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by melschicks, May 16, 2011.

1. melschicks

melschicks Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Dennis Port, MA
    Hi all,
    I've been checking for pasty butt since they arrived from the hatchery last Wed... most of the others have cleared up, but this little BPR had it the worse... and she is the runt... about half the size of the others at this point... doesn't eat or drink as much, sleeps a lot more.

Her bottom is a little bare at this point from all the wiping with wet paper towels. Her vent seems swollen and inflamed (red dot). I do catch her pooping at least a few times a day (I'm gone from 8-6) when I'm home, so I don't think she's been impacted. Her poop is a little loose, but not runny (although her pasty butt is more like a thin shelac, as opposed to the crumbles I see on the others.)

They are getting ground up medicated chick starter crumbles, yogurt (not that they eat it...), egg yolk. Tonight I tried the molasses water, per some suggestions on the forum. They never got sugar water and all seemed to survive the shipping pretty well.

Does she have something else?

pictures taken this evening.
    [​IMG]

Any ideas? Thanks!
    First time chick-mom here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwwww...poor little honey. [​IMG]

4. melschicks

melschicks Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Dennis Port, MA
    Thanks, I'll see what we can do with some prolapse remedies for chicks.
    There is nothing hanging out, but maybe it is the start of something worse... or just really really irritated.
    She seemed to have more energy this morning [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by