Is this laceration healing? 10 week pullet

ndoherty

Hatching
Sep 9, 2021
My husband and I are watching some friends pullets while they’re out of the country (couple more weeks left) On the evening of 12/29, one of them unfortunately got stuck in this tiny space in our coop (between rabbit cage/wall) and I’m assuming while scared/trying to get unstuck, she somehow tore the skin under her wing open… it’s a large laceration through skin and you can see muscle. Probably 3”x2”. I cleaned it thoroughly that night with betadine/water & a lot of triple antibiotic ointment, bandaged her up and have cleaned it in the 2.5 days since then with vetericyn & ointment. She’s eating, drinking, preening and acting very spunky. I did attempt to super glue the wound together so it didn’t fully sit open but she’s popped it open twice now with trying to fly in her sequestered area. I re-cleaned it this morning and am just leaving it open, no more super glue attempts.

I couldn’t quite find any picture examples online.. there is no inflammation or smell that I can see or detect. So, I’m assuming it’s not infected but I don’t know how much healing to expect to see after 2.5 days? Does it look like it’s starting the healing process?

I’ve included some pics I took this morning of it. It does look like she maybe pecked a new little mark in it. Arg! There is still a bit of superglue residue on the right side I’ll attempt to gradually get off there too.
4B23F3D8-2CD6-46EB-8230-33230C9867A3.jpeg

2CC70331-4FD1-4ACA-BD5E-C9D3F748055A.jpeg

D4E2DA49-ADC5-4EDB-8CFA-A684D9819C92.jpeg

It is always best with a coop or flock wound to let it heal open from the inside out. I would get some chlorhexidene 2% from Amazon, the drug store or feed store, and flush it twice a day with a syringe or turkey baster. This is best if a wound infection is suspected. Then apply the antibiotic ointment. Eventually, you may switch to saline which can be found in a drug store or made fresh daily at home. Add 1/2 tsp of salt to an 8 ounce 240 ml cup of water, and heat it for 2 minutes in the microwave or simmer on the stove for 15 minutes. Store in a clean jar, and make fresh daily. The antibiotic ointment is best used until the wound fills in and heals.

It is always best with a coop or flock wound to let it heal open from the inside out. I would get some chlorhexidene 2% from Amazon, the drug store or feed store, and flush it twice a day with a syringe or turkey baster. This is best if a wound infection is suspected. Then apply the antibiotic ointment. Eventually, you may switch to saline which can be found in a drug store or made fresh daily at home. Add 1/2 tsp of salt to an 8 ounce 240 ml cup of water, and heat it for 2 minutes in the microwave or simmer on the stove for 15 minutes. Store in a clean jar, and make fresh daily. The antibiotic ointment is best used until the wound fills in and heals.
Thanks for the advice! Could I just use betadine as an antiseptic vs chlorhexidine? Or do you primarily recommend chlorhexidine? I have also been rinsing it with saline the past couple of days. I don’t really think it’s infected as there is no smell, inflamed skin or oozing puss.. but I don’t want it to become so!

Back
Top Bottom